4 1/2 cups dairy
1/3 cup corn starch
5 large egg yolks, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring
Stir-ins (optional), see below for suggestions
- Heat 4 glasses of the milk inside a large saucepan over medium heat until steaming.
- Whisk the sugar, corn starch and 1/2 teaspoon salt inside a large bowl. Whisk within the egg yolks and also the remaining 1/2 cup milk.
- Whisk 1 / 2 of the new milk in to the egg mixture until smooth, then progressively whisk the egg-milk mixture in to the saucepan. Prepare over medium heat, whisking constantly, before the mixture boils. Still prepare, whisking constantly, until it’s thickened to some puddinglike consistency, three or four minutes. Remove in the heat and stir within the vanilla.
- Awesome slightly, stirring a couple of occasions to avoid an epidermis from developing. Place a bit of plastic wrap directly on the top from the pudding and refrigerate until completely cooled and thickened, about 4 hrs.
- Before serving, whisk the pudding intensely until smooth and creamy.
- Cookies and Cream: Crush 20 chocolate wafer cookies, stir some in to the pudding and top with the remainder.
- Fresh Berries and Gingersnaps: Fold by 50 percent glasses of fresh, mixed berries and top about 12 finely crushed gingersnaps.
- Vanilla-Blueberry: Fold in 3 sliced bananas. Cover and refrigerate for one hour. Fold in 24 crushed vanilla wafer cookies and top with increased sliced bananas.
- Rocky Road: Fold in 1 cup each small marshmallows and toasted chopped walnuts and 1/2 cup of small choc chips. Sprinkle with increased choc chips.
- Peanut Butter* and Jelly (See Cook’s Note): Fold in 1 cup quartered red grapes and 1/3 cup each chopped roasted peanuts and peanut butter chips. Top with whole grapes.
Many people have allergic reactions to peanuts, and when serving to visitors, please make sure they are conscious of the inclusion of the peanut product.